Compliance with Testing Rules
By registering for the MTTC, you are agreeing to abide by the Rules of Test Participation and all rules, requirements, and policies specified or referenced on the current program website and communicated to you, orally or in writing, at each test administration for which you have registered.
For paper-based testing, you will also be asked to sign your answer document(s), which will contain an agreement to the Rules of Test Participation, prior to testing at the site on the day of the test. Failure to sign your answer document(s) on the day of the test may result in the voiding of your test scores or in your not being allowed to test.
For computer-based testing, a nondisclosure agreement will be presented to you on the computer after you sign in at the test center. It will ask you to indicate your agreement to the conditions set forth on the current program website, including the Rules of Test Participation and the rules communicated to you orally or in writing at the test session. You will have five minutes to read and accept the terms of this nondisclosure agreement. If you do not respond within five minutes, or if you indicate that you do not accept the terms of the agreement, your test session will terminate, you will not be permitted to test, and you will receive no refund or credit of any kind.
Rules of Test Participation
- COMPLIANCE: I understand that if I fail to comply with the rules, requirements, and policies specified or referenced on the current program website, including these Rules of Test Participation, and communicated to me, orally and/or in writing, at the test administration, or if I take any prohibited actions, my test results may be voided, no refund will be issued, no portion of the testing fee can be applied toward the cost of any future testing fees, I may not be permitted to register for current or future test administrations, my registration may be canceled, I may not be allowed to test, I may be required to test under controlled conditions, and legal proceedings and actions may be pursued as well as any other remedies that the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) and/or the Evaluation Systems group of Pearson, a business of NCS Pearson, Inc. (Evaluation Systems), may deem appropriate, including denying, revoking, or suspending a teaching certificate.
- POLICIES: I have read and agree to the information and policies presented on the current program website, including, but not limited to, "Test Fees and Payment Policies," "Withdrawal/Refund Policy," "Identification Policy," and "Late Arrival Policy."
- PURPOSE OF TESTING: I understand that the tests are administered only for the purpose of certification or for any other purpose authorized by the Michigan State Board of Education and are to be taken only by individuals either enrolling in a state teacher preparation program, seeking teacher certification, or taking the test(s) for another purpose authorized by the Michigan State Board of Education. I certify that I am taking the test(s) for which I have registered for the purpose of teacher certification, as part of the state-approved teacher certification process, or for another purpose, as authorized by the Michigan State Board of Education.
- TEST ADMINISTRATION: I authorize the test administrators to serve as my agents in maintaining a secure test administration. I agree to follow all reasonable instructions given to me either orally or in writing at or during the test administration, including but not limited to instructions to relocate me during the test session. I agree not to communicate with other examinees or any unauthorized persons in any way during the test administration nor to engage in any other form of misconduct. I agree not to engage in behavior that would disrupt or unfairly affect the performance of myself or other examinees. I agree to cooperate with testing personnel. If I fail to comply with these provisions, I may be dismissed from the test site, my score may be voided without refund or credit of any kind, and other actions, as described in Rule 1, may be taken as deemed appropriate by the MDE and Evaluation Systems.
- Test Property: I understand that all test booklets, answer documents, and all other test materials and any portion thereof or information relating thereto (referred to below as the "Test Materials") are the sole property of the MDE and Evaluation Systems. I understand that my responses, without the identification of my name, may be used for research, development and implementation of testing programs, scorer training or study materials, or other purposes associated with the program. I understand and acknowledge that the Test Materials were developed at great cost and are required to be kept confidential and secure from disclosure in order to fairly and effectively perform the test functions for which they were designed. I have not received or reviewed any Test Materials prior to taking the test and no Test Materials will be available for me to review after the test. I am not permitted to take (and I will not take) any Test Materials or handwritten or printed notes (referred to below as "Notes") reflecting or recording anything about Test Materials from the testing room or to disassemble, copy, or reproduce the Test Materials in whole or in part, by hand or with the use of any electronic, or other type of, device of any nature.
- Test Materials: I understand that I will not be permitted to bring to or use during the test: Notes, cellular phones, electronic communication devices, visual or audio recording or listening devices or any device with an on/off option, scratch paper, unauthorized calculators, or any other unauthorized aid (collectively referred to below as "Unauthorized Aids"). Throughout the test session, I will have nothing on my desk or at my workstation but authorized materials provided or approved by the test administrator. I may use materials provided by the test administrator for any intermediate work. However, only responses that I record on my answer document(s) for paper-based testing or on computer (including scans of hand-drawn responses) for computer-based testing will be scored.
- NONDISCLOSURE OF TEST MATERIALS: Because of the great cost expended to develop the Test Materials, because of the obvious necessity that they be kept confidential and secure from disclosure in order to fairly and effectively perform the test functions for which they were designed, and because any disclosure of part or all of the contents of the Test Materials to anyone might render them unusable for future test administrations, I promise and agree that I will not disclose the Test Materials or any part of them (including the form, subject matter, substance, and wording of any test question or any answer thereto) to anyone for a period of ten (10) years from the date of the test administration to which such Test Materials pertain. I understand and agree that if I should violate this agreement of nondisclosure, I may be liable in damages for the costs (including redevelopment costs) incurred as a result of any breach of this agreement, and I may also be subject to other legal and equitable remedies (including injunctive relief) for any such breach.
- TEST SCORE REPORTING AND CANCELLATION: I understand that my test score(s) will be reported to me; to the MDE; to the Michigan institution(s) indicated during registration; and to any other institution, entity, or person authorized or required by law to receive this information. I understand that any information provided as a part of registration may be used to report scores or to contact me regarding test- or program-related issues. My score report will be sent even if I leave the testing room before I finish the test. Once I am admitted to the test center, I may not cancel my test results for computer-based testing. For paper-based testing, if I do not want my score reported, I understand that a request in writing must be received by Evaluation Systems within seven (7) days after the test date. A Score Cancellation Form will be available at the paper-based test center on the day of the test. If I cancel my test score(s), I will receive no refund or credit of any kind, and my scores will not be entered into any records or reported to me, the MDE, or any Michigan institution.
- VOIDED SCORE: I understand that if I fail to comply with the rules and requirements set forth on the current program website, including these Rules of Test Participation, and communicated to me, orally and/or in writing, at the test administration, or if doubts are raised about the validity or legitimacy of my registration or my score, Evaluation Systems will notify the MDE and other parties as deemed appropriate by the MDE. The MDE and Evaluation Systems reserve the right to void my test score if, in their sole opinion, there is adequate reason to question its validity or legitimacy due to circumstances within or beyond my control. Other actions, as described in Rule 1, may be taken as deemed appropriate by the MDE and/or Evaluation Systems.
- RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS REGARDING TEST ADMINISTRATION: I understand and agree that liability for test administration activities, including but not limited to the adequacy or accuracy of test materials and equipment, the adequacy or accuracy of the registration and administration processes or conditions, the adequacy of test site facilities, the adequacy or accuracy of scoring, the adequacy or accuracy of score reports, the adequacy or accuracy of information provided to me in connection with the MTTC program, and the adequacy of protection of examinee information will be limited to score correction, test retake, or a rescheduled test appointment at no additional fee. I waive any and all rights to all other claims, specifically including but not limited to claims for negligence arising out of any acts or omissions of the MDE and Evaluation Systems (including the employees, agents, contractors, or professional advisors of the MDE and Evaluation Systems).
- PROGRAM CHANGES: I understand that the testing program is subject to change at the sole discretion of the MDE.
- OBJECTION TO PROCEDURES: If, for any reason, I object to the procedures presented in these Rules of Test Participation, I must advise Evaluation Systems, in writing, of the basis of my objection at least eight (8) weeks before the test date for which I wish to register for my objection to be taken under consideration. Under no circumstances may I register using the late or emergency registration procedures if I have such an objection. If I nevertheless object, my registration may be canceled, I may not be permitted to take the test(s), or my score(s) may be voided, unless I withdraw my objection in writing.
- RULES: I understand that should any of these rules or any other requirement or provision contained on the current program website be declared or determined by any court to be illegal or invalid, the remaining rules, requirements, and provisions will not be affected and the illegal or invalid rule, requirement, or provision shall not be deemed a part of the current program website. The headings of each of the Rules of Test Participation are for convenient reference only. They are not a part of the rules themselves; they do not necessarily reflect the entire subject matter of each rule; and they are not intended to be used for the purpose of modifying, interpreting, or construing any of these Rules of Test Participation. I agree that any legal action arising in connection with my registration for or participation in a test administration shall be brought in the state and federal courts governing St. Paul, Minnesota, and I consent to the personal jurisdiction of such courts.
Copyright © 2017 Pearson Education, Inc. or its affiliate(s). All rights reserved.
Pearson, P.O. Box 226, Amherst, MA 01004